The Bank Holiday weekend was a busy one for the club with both Juvenile, Senior and Camogie teams in competitive action.

First up were the Intermediate Camogie team who played Portumna in the League Final on Sunday evening in Loughrea. All present were treated to a great game with two well matched sides putting on a great display. Castlegar thought they had done enough with a two point lead heading into injury time, only to be pipped at the post by a Portumna goal. The girls and their mentors will be very disappointed, but they can be proud of a great league campaign. This group has come a long way and can look forward to the championship with confidence.

Monday started with The U11 boys playing Oranmore in the city league final. They started well enough, but a couple of early Oranmore goals took the wind out of their sails. The second half was a much more even affair but the lads could not overcome the defecit. They had a few chances which on another day would have gone in, but it wasn't to be. They can be proud of their efforts, especially the U10 players involved. A first appearence at Pearse stadium for most of these players. The first of many I am sure.

A double header in Athenry saw the Castlegar minors play Turloughmore followed by the Seniors Championship first round replay against Kiltormer. The miners did well enough in the first half. They trailed by a few points at half time, but most observers thought that if they could raise their game in the second period they would be in with a shout. But it was Turlough who upped the ante after the break and the Cashel lads just couldn't stay with them. To make matters worse Dean Connolly had to leave the field with what looked like a nasty injury, hopefully it was not too serious. They are a very young team with many of last years U16s playing so there is plenty of potential there, hopefully they will learn from this experience and move on and improve.

What might otherwise have been a disappointing weekend for the club was rescued in fine style by the Senior side. The previous weeks lacklustre draw was consigned to the dustbin by a storming display to see Castlegar safely into the group stages of the championship. Cashel took the game by the scruff of the neck from the off, established an early lead and drove on to dominate the game to the finish. The only negative was an injury to Padraig O'Flynn who left the field in obvious discomfort. The team, mentors and supporters can now enjoy the second round games knowing that they are in the group stages regardless of who manages to join them there. Indeed if they can build on this performance they will be well worth following this summer and should have a competitive season.